The Alienware M14x R2 is the update to last year’s 14-inch Alienware M14x. This custom gaming notebook from Dell’s Alienware group is packed with a 3rd generation Intel Core i5 or Core i7 processor, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M graphics, and can be cofigured with both a standard 2.5″ SATA hard drive or SSD as well as a second mSATA SSD for fast storage for the latest games. In short, this laptop delivers a very capable and very fun gaming experience for people who don’t want to haul a larger 17-inch gaming rig.
- 14-inch glossy “edge to edge” full HD display (1600×900 resolution)
- Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
- Intel Core i7-3610QM quad-core processor (6MB Cache, up to 3.3GHz w/ Turbo Boost 2.0)
- Intel HM67 chipset
- NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M w/ 2GB GDDR3 dedicated video memory using NVIDIA Optimus technology
- 8GB DDR3-1600 (2x 4GB)
- 750GB 7,200 RPM SATA HDD + 32GB mSATA Caching SSD
- Killer Wireless-N 1202 wireless network adapter
- Internal Bluetooth 4.0 wireless
- Integrated 720p webcam
- Slot-load DVD burner (Matshita DVD+-RW UJ8A7)
- 8-cell Li-ion battery (63WHr)
- Weight: 6.48 lbs.
- Dimensions: 1.49 x 10.17 x 13.27 inches
- 1-year limited warranty
- Cool design
- "Good enough performance" for most serious gamers while on the road.
- AlienFX lighting is still awesome
- Still a horrible glossy screen
- Still thick and heavy
- Powerful, but not "best in class"
The new Alienware M14x R2 is clearly an improvement over the original M14x, but Dell could have packed more into this notebook.
Read Our Full Review: Alienware M14x R2 Review: Better Than The Original