Western Digital today introduced its WD RE3 SATA hard drives, the third generation RE family enterprise hard drives.
The new RE3 drives feature new electronics that improve performance by 20 percent, and up to 60 percent in high-vibration environments. RE family hard drives are ideal for use in servers, network attached storage, and storage networks. They are designed for performance and reliability in enterprise applications.
- Dual processor – Twice the processing power that results in a 20 percent performance improvement over the previous generation.
- RAFF™ technology – Resulting in up to 60 percent performance improvement over previous generation drives, WD’s fourth-generation RAFF technology includes sophisticated electronics to monitor the drive and correct both linear and rotational vibration simultaneously, in real time for maximum performance in high vibration environments.
- IntelliSeek™ technology – Calculates optimum seek speeds to lower power consumption, noise and vibration in active seek modes without degrading performance.
- Multi-axis shock sensor – An additional third sensor has been added to RE3 models to automatically detect the subtlest shock events and compensates to protect the data.
- RAID-specific, Time-Limited Error Recovery (TLER) – Prevents drive fallout caused by the extended hard drive error-recovery processes common to desktop drives.
- Third-generation dynamic fly height – With this next generation dynamic fly height technology, each read-write head’s fly height is adjusted in real time for optimum reliability.
- Thermal extended burn-in test – Extended burn-in testing with thermal cycling added to ensure only the most robust drives are produced as RAID Edition.
- NoTouch™ ramp load technology – The recording head never touches the disk media ensuring significantly less wear to the recording head and media as well as better drive protection in transit.
The WD RE3 drives are available now in 250, 320, and 500GB capacities through select resellers and distributors for $79, $89, and $119 respectively. The new RE3 drives have a 5-year warranty.