Here we go again. Last year Wal-Mart and HP offered a $397 laptop on the big shopping day after Thanksgiving Day in the U.S. They’re not waiting around this year, the Compaq v5000z laptop with an AMD Sempron processor is available online and in stores for $398 now.
Wal Mart this year is offering the Compaq v5000z for $398 with the following specs:
- 15.4-inch WXGA BrightView widescreen monitor
- AMD Sempron 3300+ 2.0GHz processor
- 512MB of RAM, max supported 2048MB
- 24X DVD/CD-RW Combo Drive
- 60GB (5400RPM) Hard Drive
- ATI RADEON XPRESS 200M IGP with 128MB DDR (shared)
- Integrated 10/100Base-T Ethernet LAN (RJ45 connector)
- 54g 802.11b/g WLAN with 125HSM / SpeedBooster support
- High Speed 56K modem
- PC Card Slots: 1 ExpressCard/54 Slot (also supports ExpressCard/34)
- Available External Ports: 2 USB 2.0, Headphone out, microphone-in, 1 VGA (15-pin) 1 TV-Out (S-video), 1 RJ-11 (modem), 1 RJ-45 (LAN)
- Software Included: Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition (Windows Vista Capable)
- 1 year HP Total Care Help & Support Center
- Dimensions: 10.2" (L) x 14.1"(W) x 1.38"(min) /1.77"(max)
- Weight: 6.4 lbs
Compaq Presario v5305WM (v5000z) on sale for $398 at Wal-Mart (view large image)
Okay, so it’s not a top of the line gaming notebook, but for $398 that’s a lot. It has the essentials such as a Wi-Fi 802.11g, 512MB of RAM, a processor that’s okay and BrightView widescreen display. Here’s a link to the product on Wal-Mart. Most people buying a laptop for the first time go with a 15.4" screen notebook, so this is spot on for those types of buyers.
HP offering v3000z for $399 ($359 for students or those in academics)
HP is also offering an amazing deal for a notebook on their own site. They’ve got the popular and new Presario v3000z notebook available for $399 after rebate at HP.com. To see a review of the Compaq v3000z notebook with an AMD Turion X2 processor click here. You can also customize at HP.com to get a few better options and pay a bit more than $399. The specs for the v3000z as configured at $399 are:
- AMD Sempron 3500+ 1.80GHz processor
- 14.1" WXGA widescreen
- Nvidia Go 6150
- 512MB of RAM afer free upgrade
- 40GB hard drive
- Black shiny finish
- 802.11g wireless
But wait, there’s more! HP offers discounts if you buy online via HP.com and you’re a student. To get the student/academic discount, called Academic Purchase Plan (APP), use the following link to sign up: https://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/register_app.do
As you can see above, the Compaq v3000z is $359.19 after the APP discount, instant savings and mail-in rebate.
$199 Laptop coming?
According to NPD Techworld analyst Stephen Baker, "We’re probably going to see a $199 notebook on Black Friday, certainly we are going to see aggressive prices." Black Friday is the day after the Thanksgiving Day holiday in the U.S., this year it falls on Friday, November 24th. It’s hard to imagine what kind of notebook exactly would sell for that price, but it’s not hard to believe that such deals will be available after rebates and other tricks