Toshiba has introduced a new laptop to its Portege product line. The Toshiba Portege S100 is a 14.1″ screen laptop that is the lightest and thinnest offering Toshiba has that includes an optical drive (the ultraportable Portege R100 is lighter but has no optical drive). The S100 includes an Intel Pentium M Sonoma family processor and NVIDIA GeForce Go 6200 Video card with 64MB of RAM.
The S100 is squarely targeted at business users, Toshiba has integrated its HDD Protection System into the S100 that protects the hard drive from possible damage resulting from accidental drops. Through the integration of a 3D accelerometer in the notebook, the Toshiba HDD Protection System detects when the Portege S100 is in a potentially unsafe environment, caused by sudden “acceleration” in any direction. Once danger is detected, the hard drive immediately places itself into a protected mode and parks the hard drive head until the system determines it is safe to resume normal operation.
In addition to protecting against drops the S100 has a spill-resistant keyboard design that will ward off the threat of moisture damaging internal components for several minutes in order to allow the user the opportunity to properly close files and power down the notebook, reducing the possibility of losing vital data. I suppose that we could say this notebook is geared towards clumsy people and not just business professionals!
According to Taro Hiyama, Toshiba’s VP of Marketing, “For Toshiba, the Portege S100 represents another milestone in our history of delivering leading-edge mobile computing products. By blending the latest advances in mobile computing with a high level of investment protection, we are confident that the full-featured design of our Portege S100 will satisfy the needs of today’s mobile professionals.”
Another cool feature of this notebook is the Toshiba patented “Diversity Antenna” that is designed to deliver better wireless reception through the integration of a dual-band Wi-Fi antenna in the notebook’s display.
The Portege S100 incorporates the new Mobile Intel 915PM Express chipset. Another impressive element of the Portege S100 is the inclusion of the NVIDIA GeForceTM Go 6200 TE graphics processor. This technology features NVIDIA PureVideo, Microsoft DirectX 9 Shader Model 3.0 and NVIDIA PowerMizer 5.0 to deliver brilliant video, 3D graphics, long battery life and enhanced system performance.
Toshiba S100 Full Specs
- Processor: Intel Pentium M Processor 740 (1.73 GHz4, 533MHz FSB, 2 MB L2 Cache)
- Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional
- Display: 14.1-inch diagonal XGA or SXGA
- System Chipset: Mobile Intel 915PM Express Chipset
- Graphics Controller: NVIDIA GeForce Go 6200 TE graphics processor (w/ 64MB dedicated VRAM)
- Memory: 256 MB (standard) DDR2 533 MHz memory or 512MB DDR2 533MHz SDRAM (max 2 GB).
- Hard Drive: 40 GB(5400RPM) or 60GB (5400RPM)
- Optical Drive: Ultra Slim SelectBay CD-RW/DVD-ROM
- Wireless: Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG (802.11b/g)
- Ports: RGB, 2 USB 2.0, IEEE 1394, Headphones, Microphone, 1 Secure Digital slot, 1 Type II PCMCIA slot, Fast Infrared (IrDA 1.1), RJ-45 (10/100/1000), RJ-11 (v.92 Modem)
- Battery: 6-cell lithium-ion battery (4700 mAh)
- Dimensions: 12.5″ x 10.6″ x 0.9/1.3″
- Weight: 4.381 lbs.
- Warranty: Standard one-year limited warranty
Pricing and Availability