News Bits: Windows Vista Released, Intel Centrino to have 802.11n, More Notebooks in U.S. Homes

by Reads (7,690)

Windows Vista released for sale

Microsoft has started to market its new Vista operating system. It is being sold to business customers only right now; consumer availability will come at the end of January. Microsoft predicts that Vista will be the fastest-selling operating system to date. Windows Vista is two years late, and will miss the Christmas season. It, along with Office 2007, took five years to develop, along with $20 billion, and 10,000 workers.

Read More

Analyst says 90 million Vista shipments in 2007

The IDC today released new projections for Windows Vista – over 90 million units will be shipped worldwide in 2007. Vista Home Basic is expected to account for 67% of consumer Vista purchases, while 30% will be Vista Home Premium. Vista Ultimate will secure 2%, and Vista Business only 1%. For the business market however, Vista Business will make up 82% of Vista purchases, and Vista Enterprise the remaining 18%.

During the first year of deployment, Vista will account for 90% of new Windows client installations for home users, which includes Vista Home Basic and Vista Home Premium. In the business world, only 35% of new client installations will be comprised of Vista Business/Enterprise. That number should climb to 80% during the second year. The reason business adoption is slower is because businesses are a bit more careful when it comes to upgrades, and usually wait for the first service pack before they do large-scale adoptions.

Read More

Intel to put pre-standard 802.11n into Centrino by next year

Director and general manager at Intel’s Communication Technology, Alan Croch, told the audience at the IEEE Globecom 2006 Expo in San Francisco on Tuesday to expect Intel to integrate a pre-standard version of 802.11n Wi-Fi into its Centrino platform by next year.

The IEEE 802.11n standard will most likely not be ratified until the first half of 2008. 802.11n brings greater range and better performance over the current wireless technology – it will reach up to 600Mbps, and have a 50 percent greater range.

Industry analysts have warned against adopting the 802.11n standard until it is ratified.

Read More

Lenovo ThinkVantage Technologies integrated with Windows Vista

Lenovo today announced the integration of its ThinkVantage Technologies (TVTs) with Windows Vista to enhance the experience of business users, and offer a high level of system recovery, connectivity, and security.

With its TVTs optimized for Vista Enterprise, Lenovo is embracing and extending the capabilities of the new operating system, addressing system recovery, connectivity, and security. TVTs will help IT administrators and end-users increase their productivity and reach a lower cost of PC ownership.

Read More

Mobile computers on the rise in US homes

According to the MetaFacts 2006 Home PC Brand Profile Report, an increasing number of US homes are embracing notebook computers. In over 52 million homes, notebooks are primary computers, or 30.2% of US primary home computers overall. Brands motivate their customers to buy notebooks differently however. In Apple households, 52% of personal computers are notebooks. 46.1% of Dell PCs at home are notebooks, and in HP/Compaq households, only 16.1%, or one in six, are notebooks.

49.3% of computers in US households are modern, or purchased since 2004. Two-thirds of Apple computers and one-half of HP/Compaq and Dell notebooks are less than two and a half years old.

Other findings in the Home PC Brand Profile Report include the age and gender of home PC users. Almost half (46%) of Apple’s user base is 55 and over, which is over double that of average PC users (25.2%). Gateway has the lead among 18-24 year olds; a higher-than-average share of PC users fall into this age group.

Read More

LEAVE A COMMENT

0 Comments

|
All content posted on TechnologyGuide is granted to TechnologyGuide with electronic publishing rights in perpetuity, as all content posted on this site becomes a part of the community.