Bunch of new Toshiba Notebooks Announced
Toshiba yesterday announced about 10,000 new notebooks. I’m utterly confused by all these releases and why Toshiba would want to confuse the consumer market with so many offerings that seemingly overlap each other. The new Satellite M60 particularly baffles me because it’s a 17″ screen notebook with a crippled integrated graphics offering (as is usual with Satellite notebooks) — no dedicated graphics for a 17″ notebook is completely non-competitive with competition such as the Dell Inspiron 9300 or HP zd8000. Oh well, here’s a run down on the new stuff:
- Toshiba M45-S165 – Satellite M45-S165 features the M45 series’ 15.4-inch diagonal widescreen display enhanced with Toshiba TruBrite(TM) technology as well as Intel Celeron M processor 370, Microsoft Windows XP Home, 512MB memory, 80GB hard drive(4) and integrated Atheros 802.11 b/g wireless in a six-pound form factor.
- Toshiba Satellite M55 Series – the Satellite M55 series, an affordable 14-inch diagonal widescreen notebook PC that weighs under 5.3 pounds and is perfect for students and other consumers who want on-the-go productivity and multimedia performance.
- Toshiba Tecra A5 – Weighing under five pounds and 1.2-inches thin, the Tecra A5 is a space-saving notebook filled with today’s must-have business features. The integration of a 14-inch diagonal widescreen, high-brightness display provides 25 percent more viewable content on a sharper screen and allows users to more effectively view and manage multiple documents, spreadsheets or browser windows on the screen simultaneously.)
- Toshiba Satellite P35-S605 (The Satellite P35-S605 notebook sports a 17-inch diagonal widescreen display with Toshiba TruBrite technology, 100 GB hard drive spinning at 5400 rpm for quick file access, and DVD SuperMulti Double Layer drive compatible with current DVD formats that nearly doubles a recordable DVD’s storage capacity in DVD+R format.
- Toshiba Qosmio F25-AV205 – Scheduled to be available in July 2005 with an estimated single unit price of $1,999, the Qosmio F25-AV205 offers consumers a 15.4-inch diagonal widescreen TruBrite display, Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 and integrated TV tuner, digital video recorder (DVR), read/write DVD/CD player, virtual surround-sound stereo and all the capabilities of a powerful, full-featured notebook PC.
- Toshiba Satellite M60 – M60 series, a 17-inch diagonal widescreen notebook PC that starts at 7.3 pounds and is designed for students and other consumers who want desktop computing power and multimedia performance in a mobile form factor.
Tecra A5 Notebook
Satellite M55 Notebook
HP Integrates AMD Processors into more Notebooks
HP yesterday announced 5 of its Pavilion notebooks would begin offering AMD processors as a configuration and 4 of its Compaq Presario notebooks would now begin offering an AMD processor as a configuration option. The Turion 64 and Sempron processors would both be included as options available. The following Pavilion notebooks will be available with an AMD processor:
The following Presario models will be offered with an AMD processor:
It seems HP is pretty bullish on the AMD processor. They will soon be releasing an L2000 model 14″ widescreen notebook that features the Turion 64 as well, so that’ll be 6 HP Pavilion notebooks available with an AMD processor.
The HP ZV6000 is configurable with an AMD processor, HP will enable 9 other of its notebook offerings to also have an AMD processor
Toshiba Tecra M4 Tablet PC / Notebook Convertible First Look
TabletPCReviewSpot.com has a first look at the new Toshiba Tecra M4 Tablet PC / Notebook Convertible machine. This machine is the first Tablet PC device with a high end graphics card, the nVidia Go 6600 with 128MB of dedicated memory:
New Toshiba Tecra M4 Notebook Tablet PC Convertible
Dell Inspiron 6000 New Drivers for those with X300 Graphics card
If you have a Dell Inspiron 6000 notebook and an X300 graphics card, then Dell has some new drivers for you to download that are pretty important:
- Addresses situation where some customers can experience a black screen
when going from AC to battery power or booting in battery mode.
- Bad character found during InstallShield driver install (CHS language)
- 1152×864 resolution not auto-adjusting with 4100MP projector
- 3D pipe screen saver issue when D3D set to Max Quality.
Fujitsu Recalls 250,000 Batteries that could cause fires
In the “lookout your notebook is on fire” department, Fujitsu has issued a recall on 250,000 batteries that were distributed with its Amilo O, Amilo A and Amilo Pro machines sold in Europe (these notebooks are not available in the U.S.). If you have this notebook and the battery part number ends in G1L1 then contact Fujitsu, get more info on what to do about this here: http://www.fujitsu-siemens.com/support/batteryexchange/index.html