Each month we compile data for the number of times a particular notebook is viewed on this site’s product pages to get an idea for what mainstream consumers are looking at and thinking about buying. While these laptops aren’t necessarily the most popular in terms of sales, they are the most popular based on the number of times our visitors clicked on them.
In that sense, think of this list as the “most clickable laptops of the month” … the notebooks that most of the people on this site are interested in learning about. Keep in mind that clicks directly on the “Most Popular Laptops” list do not count toward the total in order to keep the list as fair as possible each month. The only clicks that count toward the monthly totals come from web searches like Google or from visitors who have clicked on a laptop after visiting our “Notebook Database” or inside our forums.
This month most of the laptops on the list are the same as last month. However, we were surprised to see three “netbooks” make strong showings on the list. This is the first time we’ve seen more than one netbook on our Top 10 list in a single month. The Acer Aspire One makes an impressive showing at number two on the list. The ASUS Eee PC made an impressive comeback, and the Dell Inspiron Mini 9 actually turned out to be more popular than its big brother, the Dell XPS M1330.
1. HP Pavilion dv5t (Previously #1) – The dv5t features an Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, up to 4096MB DDR2 System Memory, NVIDIA GeForce Go graphics available and 15.4″ diagonal WXGA BrightView Widescreen.
2. Acer Aspire One (New to the Top 10) – The Aspire One is the latest “netbook” from Acer, offering a convenient, compact design at a budget price. The Aspire One features an Intel Atom Processor, 8.9″ WSVGA TFT LCD, and a choice of either Genuine Windows XP Home Edition or Linpus Linux Lite version.
3. Dell Latitude E6400 (Previously #2) – The 14.1-inch E6400 replaces Dell’s D630. These are Dell’s first Montevina/Centrino 2 class machines. The E6400 has a starting weigh of 4.4lbs and is available with built-in Bluetooth 2.1, mobile broadband, Integrated GPS, extended life batteries for “all day” computing, discrete nVIDIA graphics, and plenty of security options including contact-less smart cards and encrypted hard disks.
4. Lenovo ThinkPad T400 (Previously #4) – The ThinkPad T400 features an Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 14.1″ LED-backlight widescreen, up to 8GB of PC2-8500 and integrated Intel X4500 or ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3470.
|5. Dell Inspiron 1525 (Previously #6) – The Inspiron 1525 is a Core 2 Duo powered 15.4″ screen notebook from Dell. The Inspiron 1525 has Intel X3100 integrated graphics, an Intel Core 2 Duo processor and a thinner and lighter form factor than the previous Inspiron 1520.|
6. Toshiba Satellite A305 (Previously #9) – The Satellite A305 laptops use the TruBrite 15.4-inch high definition diagonal widescreen display to get more from movies, games, spreadsheets and multitasking. The “Fusion finish” adds an extra level of durability and sexiness to this laptop. Available dedicated graphics and dual hard drives help this notebook really perform.
7. Asus Eee PC (back in the top 10) – The Asus Eee PC 701 notebook uses a Linux based OS that Asus has customized themselves. It has a 7″ screen and only weighs 2 lbs. The Eee PC is now also available with Windows XP.
8. Dell XPS M1530 (Previously #7) – The Dell XPS M1530 is the larger brother to the XPS M1330. It’s a 15.4-inch screen sleek looking performance notebook that offers the powerful nVidia 8600m graphics card. The XPS M1530 is available in black, red, midnight blue and white colors.
9. Dell Inspiron Mini 9 (New to the Top 10) – The Inspiron Mini 9 has an 8.9-inch widescreen display, weighs just 2.28lbs, and can be configured with either Windows XP or Ubuntu Linux. The Mini 9 is powered by an Intel Atom processor for power saving performance. An 8GB flash drive makes it so the Mini is quiet and has very fast storage and configure up to 1GB of RAM for a performance boost too. A 4-cell battery offers up to 4 hours of battery life.
10. Dell XPS M1330 (Previously #10) – The XPS M1330 stays solid on the charts at #5 for the month. The M1330 is a 13.3″ portable notebook with the Intel Santa Rosa processor, Nvidia 8400M graphics and slick looks. The M1330 is available in red, black and white color lid options.
And here’s the rest of ’em rounding out the top 20 most viewed and popular on NotebookReview.com for the month of September:
11. Lenovo ThinkPad T61
12. Sony VAIO FW
13. Dell Studio 15
14. Apple MacBook
15. HP Pavilion dv6700t
16. Toshiba Satellite A200 / A205
17. HP Pavilion tx2500z
18. Sony VAIO Z series
19. Sony VAIO SR
20. Sony VAIO NR
Remember, to get advice on which notebook to buy don’t just go with what’s popular, visit our What Notebook Should I Buy forum to ask what everyone else thinks you should buy based on your needs. Check out how the current standings for this weeks most popular notebooks looks.
Top 20 Threads for September
While we’re on the subject of top 20, to give an idea of what the hot topics were in the forums last month, here’s a list of the most viewed forum threads posted in September:
- The Mobile Graphics Card Info Page – Most GPU Qs answered (poster Chaz, posted 9/22/2008, 2022432 views, 2989 replies)
- The Mobile Graphics Card Info Page – Most GPU Qs answered (poster Chaz, posted 9/21/2008, 2021515 views, 2982 replies)
- The Mobile Graphics Card Info Page – Most GPU Qs answered (poster Chaz, posted 9/21/2008, 2021239 views, 2975 replies)
- M50Sv: Review & Owners’ Lounge (poster GenTechPC, posted 9/2/2008, 204755 views, 1976 replies)
- ~G1s Owners Lounge~ (poster coriolis, posted 9/2/2008, 197812 views, 1501 replies)
- W3j Owners Lounge (poster Brigand21, posted 9/2/2008, 131538 views, 1437 replies)
- A8Js – Owner’s Lounge (poster peekaboom, posted 9/2/2008, 160757 views, 1250 replies)
- THE OFFICIAL: Dell Inspiron 9 (Mini I) Thread… (poster Cin’, posted 9/3/2008, 50348 views, 1110 replies)
- ~F3sv Owner’s Lounge~ (poster Gautam, posted 9/2/2008, 103871 views, 1078 replies)
- S96J Owners Lounge!!! (poster rickyskater16, posted 9/2/2008, 90309 views, 1033 replies)
- Official C90/C90S/C91/C80 Owners Lounge (poster FrostFire, posted 9/2/2008, 59406 views, 814 replies)
- Asus M50VM Montevina, NV 9600M GS Review (poster GenTechPC, posted 9/2/2008, 78880 views, 811 replies)
- A8jm owner’s Lounge (poster gusto5, posted 9/2/2008, 58987 views, 751 replies)
- ~ Asus U6 Owners’ Lounge ~ (poster osomphane, posted 9/2/2008, 63032 views, 746 replies)
- G1S 8600M GT vs F3SV-B1 8600M GS Benchmark (poster GenTechPC, posted 9/2/2008, 295655 views, 694 replies)
- I know this is annoying (RAID on 7811FX) (poster mistargill, posted 9/15/2008, 10949 views, 687 replies)
- ~V1s Owner’s Lounge~ (poster CoolnQuiet, posted 9/2/2008, 62612 views, 666 replies)
- ~VX2S Owners’ Lounge~ (poster Oxyd, posted 9/2/2008, 55481 views, 638 replies)
- ~Official G2S-A1 Owners Lounge~ (poster raikay, posted 9/2/2008, 62081 views, 594 replies)
- V1J/P Owner’s Lounge (poster MysticGolem, posted 9/2/2008, 45130 views, 582 replies)