January 5, 2006 — Las Vegas, NV, USA
Lenovo X60 on the left, Lenovo X60s on the right (view larger image)
Lenovo has today announced the availability of the ThinkPad X60 and ThinkPad X60s ultraportable class of notebooks. The X60 will feature the latest Intel mobile processors, the ThinkPad X60 replaces the ThinkPad X32 while the ThinkPad X60s (slim) replaces the Thinkpad X41.
The X60s is slimmer than the X60, so basically what Lenovo has done is merge their former X30 and X40 line of notebooks into the X60 series and the slimmer style is now distinguished by a letter on the end of the model number (X60s). The X30 series always had a 2.5″ hard drive while the X40 series had a 1.8″ hard drive, the X60 simply adopts the more popular and easier to upgrade 2.5″ hard drive choice.
Lenovo X60 left side view (view larger image)
Lenovo X60 right side view (view larger image)
Here are the specs for the new ThinkPad X60 and X60s:
- Processor Choices:
The X60 will contain the latest Intel processors as listed on the Intel site here:
http://www.intel.com/intel/finance/pricelist/ (dual core and single core mobile processors) The X60s will contain the ultra low voltage Intel processors.
- Display Choices:
12″ XGA 1024 x 768
- Hard Disk Drive Choices: (2.5″ size): 40, 60, 80, 100GB 5400RPM or 100GB 7200RPM
- Optical Drive Choices: CD-RW/DVD Combo, Multi-burner DVD recordable (must use the X6 Ultra Base to have an optical drive)
- Video Graphics Choices:
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950
- Memory: 256MB or 512MB/1GB PC2–5300/667MHz or 3GB PC2–4200/533MHz
- Integrated Communications: Modem, Gigabit Ethernet, Verizon EVDO WWWAN (optional), Bluetooth (optional)
- Wi-Fi Choices: ThinkPad 11a/b/g II or Intel PRO Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection 802.11 a/b/g
- Battery Choices: standard 4-cell, 8-cell extra life (up to 7.9 hours of life, 31% longer than the X41 and X32)
- Ports: 3 USB 2.0; IEEE 1394 (FireWire); expansion bus (for optional ThinkPad X6 UltraBase or ThinkPad X60 series extended life battery); monitor-out; AC adapter power jack; RJ-11; RJ-45; audio headphone/line-out, external microphone
- Slots: 1 Type II PC Card slot with 34mm Express Card via adapter, 1 Secure Digital card slot
X60: 10.5″ x 8.3″ x .83 – 1.39″ (width x depth x thickness)
X60s: 10.5″ x 8.3″ x .83 – 1.11″ (width x depth x thickness)
- Weight with 6-cell battery (without optical drive/with optical drive):
X60 – starting at 3.22lbs (11% lighter than X32)
X60s - starting at 2.54lbs (Japan) or 2.69lbs (rest of world) (7% lighter than X41)
- Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional
- Active Protection System / ThinkPad Shock Mounted Hard Drive: Yes (both X60 and X60s)
Lenovo X60s keyboard view with Windows key and Menu key included! (view larger image)
The X60 improves on the X41 by offering 3 USB 2.0 ports instead of 2, FireWire is now offered as a port, the 1.8″ proprietary non-upgradeable X41 hard drive is replaced by a 2.5″ hard drive with up to a 100GB 7200RPM configuration, 31% longer battery life (up to 7.9 hours with an 8-cell battery) and much improved performance via the new Intel processors. All of this power is packed into a very durable body with a weight of around 3lbs. The X60 and X60s offer a truly ultra mobile, ultra tough and ultra powerful ultraportable notebook!
Lenovo ThinkPad X60 (view larger image)