The Lenovo IdeaPad S12 netbook became official today with specs and release date details being revealed by Lenovo. The much anticipated Nvidia Ion platform will be available on this netbook starting in mid-August, while the Intel integrated graphics version will be shipping in June.
As the name of this IdeaPad netbook indicates, the S12 will have a 12-inch screen. The S12′s extra size will allow for a full-size keyboard to be fitted, negating the cramped keyboard downside that we often complain about with netbooks. The screen will be a 12″ WXGA (1280 x 800) variety utilizing LED backlighting. Again, this resolution is more generous than your typical netbook where we often see a lower resolution WSVGA. The IdeaPad S12 will weigh in at about 3.45 lbs and be approximately 1.14″ thin, so the weight is in line with other 10″ screen netbooks and the profile is actually slimmer than many smaller such netbooks.
One of the most anticipated features of the S12 will be the new dedicated Nvidia Ion graphics chipset, which will give graphics performance equivalent to that of an Nvidia 9400m graphics card. This will allow for 1080p video playback, the ability to do some gaming and in general better performance for any other more graphically demanding application. The Nvidia Ion equipped IdeaPad S12 netbooks will be available mid-August with a $499 price tag.
The run down of varying specs for the IdeaPad S12 are below along with anticipated release dates for each configuration:
- Screen: 12.1″ WXGA (1280 x 800), LED Backlight
- Processor: Intel Atom N270 (1.6GHz)
- Graphics: Intel Integrated GMA 945 graphics (available June) Nvidia ION Graphics (available mid-August)
- Memory: 1GB
- Storage: 160GB (5400 RPM) 2.5″ SATA HD
- OS: Windows XP Home
- Battery: 6-cell battery rated at 6 hours
- Dimensions: 292 mm x 216 mm x 22 – 28.9 mm (11.5″ x 8.50″ x .87 – 1.14″)
- Weight: 1.55kg (3.44lbs)
- Ports: 3 x USB2.0 ports, one 34mm Express Card slot (Intel graphics platform only), 4 x1 card reader (SD/MMC/MS/MS pro), Ethernet RJ45, VGA, Single Built in MIC with Echo Cancellation and
noise reduction; Headphone, HDMI (only on ION platform)
- Camera: 1.3MP web camera
- Software: OneKey™ Rescue System; Lenovo Energy Management; Adobe Reader; NIS2009;
Windows Live Toolbar; VeriFace™; Lenovo Quick start
- Pricing: $449 for Intel graphics version, $499 for Nvidia graphics version.
Stay tuned to NotebookReview.com for a full review of the IdeaPad S12 in the weeks ahead.