Gamers rejoice! E3 is on us once again, and since there’s still some time before things really get started, let’s take a moment and think about what we might be seeing – and what we probably won’t. Wii U? Xbox 720? PS4? Games? Games!? Games!!
What We’ll See:
- The Wii U – Nintendo actually showed off the Wii U at E3 last year (check out our hands on!) to the delight and confusion to people all overl IBM CPU, AMD graphics, and enough horsepower to best the Xbox 360. What will we see on it this year? Games. In the last twelve months, Nintendo has had plenty of time to refine the system’s games and hardware from their prototype status. We’ll probably find out at least a couple of this fall’s launch titles for the new system.
- Mobile software – All right; this one is a bit of a gimme. But hey, mobile device GPUs are growing in power geometrically, with every iteration noticeably more accomplished than its forbears. As a result, mobile games are becoming increasingly complex, and increasingly pretty. Just two years ago, tablets were barely a mention on the E3 show floor; in 2012, that is not going to be the case.
- SO MANY GOOD GAMES: Assassin’s Creed III, Halo 4, The Last of Us, CoD: Black Ops 2, The Elder Scrolls Online, Resident Evil 6, Dishonored, new Gears of War, new Tomb Raider, new Skyrim DLC, and a dozen other software titles that look incredible. I’d trade half of them for a Kingdom Hearts game I could play on the PC (I know, I know. Not going to happen).
What We Won’t See:
- Xbox 360 successor (there is no way it’s going to be called the Xbox 720)
- PlayStation 4 – Sony likes to take the long view approach with their systems, and it’s unlikey we’ll hear much about the PS4 until this time next year.
- GTA V – Rockstar has already promised they won’t be revealing anything new regarding the next Grand Theft Auto title, so don’t get your hopes up.
- Half Life 3 – Like Valve would do something predictable.
Stay tuned, as we’ll be hitting the ground in L.A. in just a few hours – bringing you some of the best news on the hottest games at E3 2012.