The new XPS 13 2-in-1 ($999.99) brings Dell’s InfinityEdge display to the 2-in-1 form factor for the first time. The display on this convertible notebook has just a 5.2mm border on the top and both sides, allowing the 13.3-inch touch screen fit inside the same space as an 11-inch laptop … and allowing Dell to boast that this is “the smallest 13-inch 2-in-1 on the planet.”
As the product name suggests, the XPS 13 2-in-1 is based heavily on the successful Dell XPS 13 but pushes the design even thinner (8- 13.7mm) and a quieter thanks to the lack of cooling fans. Apple made headlines in late 2016 because of the lackluster battery life in their newest MacBook Pro, but Dell is making very specific claims about the battery life from the XPS 13 2-in-1. Dell boasts the FHD model of the XPS 13 2-in-1 will deliver up to 15 hours of battery life using Microsoft Word or Excel, and “up to 9 hours” while streaming Netflix content on the go.
Big Things Come in Small Packages
We weren’t very excited about yet another 1080p touch display, but Dell offers this 2-in-1 with an optional UltraSharp Quad HD+ touch display with 3200 x 1800 resolution. Both display options feature IPS wide-viewing angles and an anti-reflective coating that promises a glossy finish without high glare.
The top display cover and base of the chassis are precision cut from a single block of aluminum while the carbon fiber palm rests stay cool to the touch. All configurations of the XPS 13 2-in-1 come with a backlit keyboard as standard. Dell even bonded Corning Gorilla Glass NBT to the aluminum display back for added strength and the steel screen hinges are encased in machined aluminum and tested more than 20,000 times to ensure durability.
Although we still appreciate full-size USB ports, the XPS 13 2-in-1 features two USB Type-C 3.1 ports, both supporting charging and display functionality. One is also a Thunderbolt 3 port, enabling up to 8x the transfer speeds of USB 3.0 at up to 40Gbps and twice as fast as Thunderbolt 2. And, even though this notebook doesn’t have built-in full-size USB ports, Dell ships a full-size USB-A to USB-C adapter with every system.
As expected, the XPS 13 2-in-1 will be available with 7th generation Intel Core i5 and i7 processors with Dynamic Power Mode delivering extra processing power in short bursts. If you select one of the optional PCIe solid state drives the XPS 13 2-in-1 boots from cold in seconds.
The optional Dell Active Pen delivers more than 2000 levels of pressure sensitivity and palm rejection software also helps make this pen feel more natural whether you’re writing or drawing.
We expect to have hands-on coverage of the new Dell XPS 13 2-in-1 at CES and will have a full review soon.
Dell XPS 13 2-in-1 Specifications:
- Operating System: Windows 10
- Processor options: 7th Generation Intel Core i5-7Y54 (4MB Cache, up to 3.2 GHz) or Core i7-7Y75 (4MB Cache, up to 3.6GHz)
- Display: 13.3-inch UltraSharp Quad HD+ (3200 x 1800) InfinityEdge touch or 13.3-inch FHD (1920 x 1080) InfinityEdge touch
- Memory: 4GB, 8GB, or 16GB Dual Channel LPDDR3 SDRAM (1866MHz)
- SSD: 128GB SATA, 256GB PCIe, 512GB PCIe, 1TB PCIe
- Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 615
- Battery: 46WHr (built-in)
- AC adapter: 30W
- Pen support: Dell Active Pen with 2048 levels of pressure sensitivity
- Wireless: Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC + Bluetooth 4.2, Miracast capable
- Webcam: 720p with dual array microphones
- Fingerprint reader: Windows Hello compliant fingerprint reader
- Dimensions: 0.32-0.54 x 11.98 x 7.8 inches (8-13.7 x 304 x 199 mm)
- Weight: 2.7 pounds (1.24 kg)