Dell today announced the Latitude D520 notebook, its newest entry-level notebook designed to maximize the productivity and technology budgets of small businesses and schools. The best news is that it offers Core Duo processor performance for well under $1,000.
The Latitude D520 looks a lot like the other new Latitude notebooks in design except it is not widescreen. It may seem quite similar to the D820 and D620, and in some respects it is because if offers the same sturdy magnesium alloy build, however you cannot configure built-in WWAN, no dedicated graphics is available, and you cannot configure a fast 2.0GHz + Core Duo processor. You can however configure up to a 1.83GHz Core Duo processor and up to 4.0GB of RAM. If you only need integrated graphics and do not like widescreen displays, then the D520 might actually be quite appealing for you.
What’s most appealing about this new D520 is the price! On the Dell.com Small Business site right now you can get the D520 with a 1.66GHz Core Duo processor, 40GB 5400RPM HD, built-in 802.11b/g wireless, 512MB of RAM, 14.1-inch XGA screen for $699. That’s a really good price.
Configure the D520 with a Core Duo 1.66GHz processor and a few other basics and the price comes to $699 (view large image)
Below is a run down of the available specs on this new Dell Latitude D520 notebook:
- Choice of Intel Core Duo processors combined with the Intel 945GM chipset or Intel Celeron M processors combined with the Intel 940GML chipset
- Choice of 14.1-inch or 15-inch XGA (1,024 x 768) or 15-inch SXGA+ (1,400 x 1,050) display
- 512MB to 4GB of DDR2 533/667MHz shared SDRAM
- Choice of 40GB, 60GB, 80GB or 100GB hard drives
- Standard internal Dell Wireless 1390 802.11g. Optional internal Intel PRO Wireless 3945A/G 802.11a/g or Dell Wireless 1490 802.11a/g
- Standard 24X CD-ROM or choice of 8X DVD-ROM, 24X CD-RW/DVD combination and 8X DVD+/-RW(f) optical drives, 80GB second hard drive
- Integrated 10/100 Ethernet and 56K(g) V92 modem
- Ports include: Four USB 2.0, IEEE 1394, serial, S-video, VGA, audio out; one PCMCIA Type I/II slot
- Choice of Windows(R) XP Home or Windows XP Professional operating system
- Optional docking offerings including D/Port Advanced Port Replicator, D/Monitor Stand and D/View Notebook Stand
- One-year limited warranty(h) and Next Business Day On-site Service(i)
- Dimensions: 1.4-inch high, 13.3-inches wide, 10.75-inches deep (35.8mm high, 338.3mm wide, 273mm deep)