Companies Are Spending $3 Trillion on IT in 2011

by Reads (2,976)

Gartner released a study today noting that enterprise IT spending around the world is set to jump by 4 percent to hit a lofty $2.7 trillion. That’s down from an expected 5.9% growth rate, but still more than ever before. Gartner VP Peter Sondergaard mentioned that 350 companies worldwide will each be spending more than a billion dollars on IT in 2011 – they must, in fact, in order to remain competitive. 

GartnerThere are a number of disruptive forces growing in the IT sector these days, and just like the Red Queen, companies have start running just to stay in the same place. Data density is skyrocketing as users and businesses are generating more – and more rapidly – than ever before. That requires more and better storage, and access to that storage. These efforts and aided and impeded in turns by the cloud and increased needs for mobility in the workplace.

As with IT as a whole, each of those specific needs represents the opportunity for substantial growth; while $74 billion was spent on public cloud services in 2010 (3% of total enterprise spending), that number is set to grow 500% faster than IT budgets as a whole. 

A few other numbers were thrown about, such as the state of social in regards to enterprise efforts. Over 1.2 billion people are using social networks around the world, not quite 20% of the world’s population – leaving 80% of humanity open for companies to attract. The same goes for tablet computers – led by the iPad, only 20 million of these devices were sold in 2010, but analysts expect the market to grow to more than 900 million by 2016. In fact, when iOS, Android and Windows 8 are combined, they’re expected to outnumber the total installed base of all PC-based systems.

We’ll wait and see if that happens.

 

LEAVE A COMMENT

0 Comments

|
All content posted on TechnologyGuide is granted to TechnologyGuide with electronic publishing rights in perpetuity, as all content posted on this site becomes a part of the community.