- Innovative lay-down form factor
- Fast CPU, solid GPU
- Dazzling IPS screen, good sound
- Flappy input cover in the back
- Stand can be a little stiff
- TouchSmart software is limited
HP's newest TouchSmart all-in-one is unreservedly recommended for anyone looking for an elegant computer, or to save space, or, well, just anyone.
HP has been working on the TouchSmart line of products for some time now, and the refinement shown in the new TouchSmart 610 tells that story better than any commercial. A completely revamped design and a gorgeous two-touch display add up to a brilliant new start for HP’s TouchSmart line.
- Processor: Intel Core i7-870 Quad-core CPU @ 2.93GHz
- Operating system: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
- Memory: 8GB DDR3
- Graphics: AMD ATI Radeon HD 5570 with 2GB video memory
- Storage: 1 TB HDD @ 7200 RPM
- Optical storage: Slot-loading Blu-ray / DVD+/-RW with LightScribe
- TV Tuner: Hybrid ATSC/NTSC
- Networking: Gigabit Ethernet
- Wireless networking: 802.11n, Bluetooth
- Warranty: Two-year standard parts and labor
The manufacturer’s suggested retail price for this configuration of the HP TouchSmart 610xt is $1,789.99.
What’s In the Box:
- HP TouchSmart 610xt
- Wireless keyboard
- Wireless optical mouse
- External A/C adapter
- Windows Media Center remote control
- IR blaster
Build and Design
While the first couple of TouchSmart models seemed to toil in obscurity, successive attempts have caught the eyes of critics and copycats alike. HP is continually forced to reinvent their look just to differentiate their offerings from certain other manufacturers who basically steal the designs.
Maybe that’s all for the better, though, as the TouchSmart 610 uses of these all-new looks, which looks fantastic. Instead of being all glossy and black, there are a lot of matte surfaces, and two-tone greys and silvers surrounding the body. The only glossy bits are the screen and the base, which allows users to focus on the display without being constantly distracted with stray reflections.
Along the bottom of the machine is a speaker bar, hidden behind a charcoal grey grille. All of the buttons and connections are on the sides or back of the machine. A webcam sits in the middle top of the machine, with a built-in microphone on either side. There’s a swivel dial in the rear of the machine, just behind the webcam. This tilts the webcam up and down by physically moving the entire sensor. Since the TouchSmart 610 is capable of sitting at a wide variety of angles, it’s a smart addition to the design. Physical buttons on the left side of the machine provide quick access to volume up, down and mute.